Tuesday 18 October 2016

Blue Mountains Fine Dining

Tucking in to the Darley's Culinary Experience 

It is just a little past six when the cab finally turns into Lilianfel's Resort and Spa. Despite being early for dinner, I can hardly see the surroundings except for the nearby tall trees swaying in the late autumn wind. This is the time of the year when night comes early and I have to constantly remind myself that I am in the Blue Mountains Australia and not back home in Malaysia.

I walk up to Darley's Restaurant and gratefully leave the mountain chill behind when I enter. The first thing that takes my breath away is the ambience. It is like stepping back into a long forgotten era. I cannot help but marvel at the newly revived old world charm. It is like being transported to another era when horse drawn carriages and top hats are the norm.

After all, this fine dining Blue Mountains restaurant is situated in the original house which Sir Frederick Darley built for his daughter Lilian. Sir Frederick was the sixth Chief Justice of New South Wales. In August 1888, he bought 11 acres of land and built the Lilianfel House on it. Looking at it today, I must admit that the conservators of this building must be really experts in their field.

I walk through a tastefully decorated and elegant hallway past a private dining room and drinks room before finally ending up at the dining room which once served as Sir Frederick's open air verandah. It is said that he used to enjoy looking out into his handsome English-styled garden in the cool summer evenings while entertaining visitors.

A quick survey reveals that most of the tables are already reserved. I am glad that Destination New South Wales has made prior arrangements for me or else it will be difficult to find a table in this highly popular restaurant.

The helpful waiter tells me that I am in for a three course meal and I get to choose from the menu. Everything looks so good and I finally settled for the sashimi, Toothfish and chocolate ensemble. Before leaving, the waiter hinted to me that I may like to spend some time exploring the house as the chef is very meticulous in his preparation and presentation. 'Make sure you take a look upstairs,' he whispered before heading off to the kitchen with my selection.

That definitely sounds like a good idea. I quickly finish my warm and deliciously soft bread. It tastes so good both dipped in olive oil or eaten with a generous dollop of slightly salted herbed butter.

Thankfully the staff seems to be in full swing preparing for the evening's action and I get a free reign of the place. I creep up an ornate wooden staircase. It leads to a room which has a large centrally positioned table set the same way like my table downstairs. I guess this room is only used during large private functions as the table can easily seat 20 people. Shifting my attention away from the table, I begin to look around the room. Its walls are adorn with old photographs of people whom, I presume, must have lived here some 100 years ago. I can just imagine the hallways echo with the footsteps of these people when they return home or they laugh happily during parties and celebrations.

I return to my table downstairs and I am in time to see the same waiter making his way towards me with my Japanese inspired entrees. I start with the Hiramasa Kingfish Sashimi which is very light and fresh. The Japanese cucumber adds crunchiness while the chef's brilliant use of nam jim sauce brings out a collision of salty, sweet, spicy and sour tastes to my every bite.

I have a confession to make. I have been greedy. I was so fascinated with the interesting menu that I unabashedly requested for two entrees instead of one. Although my second entree is Wagyu beef but it is something that I have never tried before. Nearly everything in this dish is raw. I look at the waiter questioningly as he places it in front of me. I really have no idea where to start. He motions to me to mix everything up with my fork. The minced Wagyu is indeed very tender and the raw egg yolk helps to bind the roasted black and white sesame seeds and coriander together. The thin squid ink rice wafer adds the additional crunch factor into each savoury mouthful.

My main dish is something that conjures up images of stormy seas, gale force winds and more than ten metre high waves. The Glacier 51 Toothfish is specifically found in a remote island some 4,000 km from mainland Australia. This fish, also known as the Patagonian Toothfish, lives among the underwater volcanic crevices located 2,000 metres below Heard Island.

The lightly grilled Jerusalem artichokes and pine mushroom goes well with the lightly salted Toothfish. The flesh of this sub-Antarctic fish is so tender that it breaks away even with the slightest touch. Call me strange but I like to leave the artichoke chips in the Amaranth consommé for a while before enjoying it. Apart from slightly softening the chips, the combination actually tastes better than enjoying them separately.

The dessert is truly a work of art. I must admit that I took the most photos of this dish. The ice cream topped with handmade Australian Zokoko chocolates is the perfect ending to fine dining experience at Darley's. Munching the cold popcorn reminds me of movies where sometimes things can be perfect, just like this meal.

Looking out of the window as the cab begins to head off, I make up my mind to return one day to Darley's during summer to marvel at the magnificent garden and the stunning Jamison Valley in the background while sampling another of its unforgettable creations.


SIDEBAR
Name of eatery:    Darley's Restaurant
Address: Lilianfels Resort and Spa, Lilianfels Avenue, Echo Point, Katoomba NSW 2780, Australia
Telehone: +61 2 4780 1200
Email: reservations@lilianfels.com.au
Website: http://www.darleysrestaurant.com.au/about.html

OPENING HOURS
6.00pm – 10.00pm Tuesday to Saturday
6.00pm - 10.00pm Sunday (long weekends only)
(Minimum 3 course dinner at A$125 per person applies for Saturday nights and public holidays)

GETTING THERE
Commencing from the Sydney CBD, cross the ANZAC Bridge and follow the Western Distributor to Parramatta Road. Then continue onto the M4 Motorway and travel towards Penrith before continuing onto the Great Western Highway. After about 50 kms, exit the Great Western Highway at the Katoomba Township exit. Follow the signs to Echo Point and the Three Sisters. Darley's Restaurant is less than 500m away.

WHAT'S COOKING
Modern Australian cuisine which highlights the fresh local produce. Look out for the RL logo which denotes that the dish contains 80% of local or regional ingredients

MUST TRY
Hay Smoked Kanimbla Valley Lamb, Wagyu Beef Tartare and Hiramasa Kingfish Sashimi

YOU'LL PAY
Rates are inclusive of local charges. There is ample free parking space in front and around Lilianfels Resort and Spa.

ATMOSPHERE
Luxurious old world charm

FACILITIES
Disabled-friendly

THE LOO
Very clean and well equipped

SERVICE
Friendly and courteous

OVERALL VERDICT
Must try


No comments:

Post a Comment