Wednesday 19 October 2016

Tongkat Ali Steamboat Anyone?

Ready to eat Steamboat

Steamboat is a wonderful way to enjoy a meal where everyone is in full control. Each individual can determine what they want to put into their bowl and how much is enough. It is, after all, an Asian culinary invention that truly allows individuality. The steamboat provides us with a very personal type of experience and yet friends and family members can enjoy a meal together while exchanging the latest gossip.

The only setback is the time needed for the stock to slowly rise to a boil before adding the ingredients. Then the hungry diners still have to endure another twenty minutes or so before the food is finally cooked and can be ladled into the waiting bowls.

My recent visit to the Paddy Cafe reveals a novel way to solve this problem. The Walkway Steamboat is available for both lunch and dinner daily. Apart from the usual steamboat spread, guests get a plate of Thai fried rice and a choice three flavoured chicken or fish to snack on while waiting for the steamboat to cook. Upon the recommendation of the helpful waiter, I decide on the three flavoured fish.

The steamboat ingredients are fresh and surprisingly generous unlike some outlets which only give very little with the hope that guests will order more later. The Walkway Steamboat gets another plus point when I discover that my favourite siew mai dumplings are also part of the spread. Needless to say, they are the first to enter the pot.

I decide to put equal amounts of ingredients into both the chicken stock and tom yam soup. Just as I am busy putting my favourite enoki mushrooms into the soup, I over hear a couple who had just arrived ask for Tongkat Ali soup stock. This is a first time I hear that our local aphrodisiac is used as a steamboat soup base. I decide to get more information about this new revelation by beckoning a nearby waiter. I learn that the Tongkat Ali soup base is not stated in the menu and is only available upon request. The soup is the personal creation of the chef who uses real Longjack roots to make his stock.

I look at the ingredients simmering in my pot dejectedly. It is already too late for me to request for a change. Sigh! If only I had know about this earlier. I decide to make a mental note about this and perhaps try out this new creation during the next visit.

Feeling a bit hungry I decide to give the Thai fried rice a try while waiting for the steamboat to come to a boil. It is slightly spicy and I can definitely taste the lemon grass and kaffir lime leaves used by the chef. I instinctively reach for the bird's eye chilies. I like my food spicy and hot. The steamboat has yet to boil by the time I finish my first bowl of fried rice. That gives me the excuse of getting second helpings and this time I want to savour the rice with the accompanying three flavoured fish.

The fish is tender and the seasoning is just perfect, not too overwhelming. This is good as I can taste the freshness of the ikan kurau. The boneless fish fillet is served in bite size pieces allowing me to finish each piece with one mouthful. I dislike eating part of a large piece and ungraciously placing the uneaten portion back onto the plate.

The pot is just beginning to show signs of boiling by the time I finish my second bowl of fried rice. I decide to just sit back and relax while enjoying  the complimentary jug of cordial drink. The live band had just started and they are playing my favoutite song - 'Hotel California'. The ice cold drink is not too sweet. I like the tangy taste which helps to clear my palate and get me ready for my first bowl of steamboat.

After tasting both, I think I prefer the chicken stock to the tom yam soup. The former brings out the taste in each of the ingredients while the latter tends to drown out the flavours. Still, I wish I could have tried the Tongkat Ali soup base. Never mind, that will be my excuse to come to Paddy Cafe again very soon.

 
SIDEBAR
WHERE    :    STARCITY HOTEL
Name of eatery:    PADDY CAFE
Address:    88 Jalan Pintu Sepuluh 05100 Alor Setar Kedah Email: inquiry@starcity.com.my
Tel: +604 7355888

OPENING HOURS
6.30am until 11pm (last order 10.30pm). Walkway Steamboat is available for both lunch and dinner

GETTING THERE
Take the North-South Expressway and exit at either Alor Setar North or Alor Setar South exit points.
The most visible landmark is the Alor Setar Tower which is a five-minute drive to the hotel. The hotel is just 100m from Kedah's latest and largest shopping mall, Aman Central.  

WHAT’S COOKING
Traditional steamboat with fresh ingredients and comes with complimentary Thai fried rice, three falvoured meat dish and a jug of cordial

MUST TRY
Walkway Steamboat (Remember to try out the Tongkat Ali soup base)

YOU’LL PAY
Rates are inclusive of GST. Prices range from RM 26 (2-3 pax) to RM56 (4-6 pax)

ATMOSPHERE
Comfortable and cozy

FACILITIES
Disabled-friendly
Credit card

THE LOO
Clean and well equipped

SERVICE
Friendly and courteous

OVERALL VERDICT
Go give it a try

No comments:

Post a Comment