Wednesday 12 October 2016

The Great Obstacle Race in Extreme Jitra Kedah

Extreme Jitra

The first rays of the sun is just beginning to spread across the cloudless September sky when I join the participants at Tasik Darulaman. We are part for the first wave of extreme athletes. I can almost feel the electrifying tension in the air as we wait to embark on the daunting 7km circuit which is designed to test the physical limits and mental perseverance of all who dare to take up the challenge.

I have been preparing for weeks for this moment. Ever vigilant over my diet, religiously going to the gym for work outs after work and even turning up at Menara Alor Setar during the weekends to run up and down its endless flight of stairs. Indeed I have sacrificed much for this event but deep down inside I know it will all be worth the blood, sweat and tears, or so to speak.

Together with more than 400 runners, I form part of the first wave to be flagged off by Dato Izham Yussof, Group Managing Director of Bina Darulaman Berhad (BDB). The well marked trail, complete with RELA volunteers stationed at strategic locations for added security, brings participants through the lush greenery of Darulaman Heights.

During the forty minute endurance challenge, participants have to overcome obstacles like climbing up rope walls, crawling through muddy fields filled with barbed wires and running across a maze of recycled tires. The part I like best is when I get to enjoy the cool crisp morning air while listening to the melodious bird songs as the feathered creatures start to venture from the safety of their homes in search of their morning meal. There is so much to see all along the way and sometimes I find myself stopping occasionally to admire wild fruiting trees just by the roadside.

The BDB Extreme Jitra is turning out to be more than what I have expected it to be. Prior to this, I thought I will just be making a mad dash to the finishing line while adopting a 'winner-take-all' attitude. Surprisingly, I am glad that did not happen. I actually find myself running at my own pace, laughing at myself for slipping off the monkey bar and more importantly I made friends along the way. These are people who are just like me and together we actually form a brief kinship and start to enjoy ourselves. I begin to realise winning is not everything and the spirit of sportsmanship and brotherhood becomes more important.

I am overwhelmed by a sense of achievement when I finally reach the finishing line.
I am so glad I have learnt to appreciate my fellow participants better and also get to experience the rich Kedah natural heritage.

This BDB Extreme Jitra is the second of a three-part series of events under the BDB Triple Challenge 2016. According to Dato Izham, BDB hopes to engage the local community in a series of adventurous and fitness activities. 'We are trying to encourage an active and healthy lifestyle among the public. We were indeed heartened that the BDB Langkawi Climb and Run held earlier this year received such an overwhelming response. Hence, the event today is aimed to take participants to the next extreme level,' Dato Izham adds enthusiastically.

The BDB Extreme Jitra is specially planned to extend the BDB Triple Challenge 2016 from Langkawi to mainland Kedah. This is done so that participants as well as visitors can explore the hidden wonders of the state many refer to as the 'Rice Bowl of Malaysia'.

For those who are interested in participating, look out for the BDB Marathon Jitra which is set to take place on 12 November 2016. This penultimate event is expected to attract more than 1000 runners from all over the country as well as from abroad. BDB Marathon Jitra will see runners traversing both flat roads and rolling hills with the breathtaking rustic paddy field scenery in the background.

Bina Darul Aman Berhad (BDB) is an investment holding company responsible for the development of township, construction, road works, quarry, golf, and leisure via its subsidiaries in Kedah. Incorporated on 7 February 1995, BDB has been a key player in Kedah’s development contributing to many landmark achievements such as Bandar Darulaman, Trans Eastern Kedah Interland Highway (TEKIH), Langkawi International Airport, and Darulaman Golf and Country Club.

For more information on the BDB Triple Challenge 2016 visit www.facebook.com/bdbtriplechallenge2016 and for the  full list of activities for Discover Kedah 2016 log on to www.discover-kedah.my

NOTE: The last image is the published work in today/s New Straits Times 13 October 2016 (Thursday) Life & Times section - Jom!

No comments:

Post a Comment