Friday 3 July 2015

Things bought at the Flea Market Friday 3 July 2015 - Vintage Chinese Wood Carvings



No updates yesterday as I was really feeling under the weather. However I managed to go to the flea market (which is a must no matter what) and I got some things that I liked very much.

The first is this stack of vintage wooden carvings - no doubt I think must be from a sign maker's shop
 

The one that really caught my eye was the pair of 'positive' and 'negative' the Chinese word 'tang' meaning 'Hall'. I asked around and found out that it was used to make plastic characters, All the maker had to do was place a thin piece of plastic in between the two boards, heat it up till its soft and then press hard and wait till it hardens.

This second piece in red means 'bu' meaning 'Cloth'. Must have been ordered by someone dealing in that type of business.








The last piece must be someone's surname. Sadly the negative was not in the pile. I did ask the seller but the answer, like always, is that he got it from another person and thus the mystery continues.

Perhaps one day the negative will surface?

No comments:

Post a Comment