Wednesday 15 July 2015

Very early hand crank sewing machine - Singer Model 27? Can anyone help please?



I do not know much about hand cranked sewing machines except that they pre date the ones that require the usual motion using our leg muscles and they are quite rare.

This morning (I know I have not been posting much - sorry as I was busy with some minor repair work at the shop) I went out with my fellow 'hunter' Yusni Azman and I bought this contraption.

I am not sure of its age except that it has a rather low serial number and the hand crank is original and not added on.

I think it is from the Singer Sewing Machine Company but I cannot find any inscriptions that supports my theory.

The only thing that identifies it is a small metal brass plate that reads Vibrating Shuttle Sewing Machine and has the symbols SV.

I am including as many photos a possible in this post.

I hope readers can help me identify this interesting piece and shed some light on the mystery surrounding it.






I even found a little key in the concealed drawer. I wonder if it opens the box that hols this sewing machine.

In case some of you are wondering - no I do not have the upper section of the case. According to the seller, it is missing.

Also, the crank is slightly jammed up but I think it is a small matter. All it needs is a bit of TLC (Tender Loving Care) and soon it should work like a well oiled machine.

Ok enough said. I shall let the photos do the talking now.

Please remember that I really appreciate feedback if you can tell me more about this thing which has a very nice porcelain handle. Thanks.





































1 comment:

  1. Thank you very much for your most helpful comments. I will check out the website you have provided. Again, my sincere thanks indeed.

    ReplyDelete