Thursday 18 June 2015

Ambong Ambong Rain Forest Retreat - My Travel Times article in 2013

Thinking of where to go this Hari Raya hoildays? Why not consider Langkawi The Jewel of Kedah....


The best of everything in Langkawi

"Rat...tat...tat..."....."Rat....tat....tat..." I only start to realize the incessant noise just as the first rays of the sun begin to cast its yellow hue on my face. I look around and see unfamiliar surroundings. In a daze, I try to recollect my thoughts. After a few moments, I start to recall arriving the night before at the Langkawi International Airport at around midnight and vaguely remember being whisked away to a place somewhere up on a hill. I do not have much recollection after that as it was dark outside and I was absolutely dead tired after a specially hectic week at the office.

I quickly get up and realize that the sound is from the balcony. Just as I start to slide the glass door open, a truly amazing sight greet me. A magnificent black and red woodpecker, with a big fat grub in its beak, turns to me and for a few seconds, we pause and gaze at each other. Then, it takes off in a flash. I edge forward as far as I can from the balcony railings, just in time to see it disappear among the thick forest canopy foliage.

The loss of my new found feathered friend is quickly replaced by the discovery of breathtaking sights from the vantage point of my balcony. It then dawns upon me that the Ambong Ambong Langkawi Rainforest Retreat is indeed an idyllic place for visitors seeking a quick weekend getaway, perfect for people like me.

Then, for the very first time in my life, I have my breakfast in a hotel while still in my pajamas. Here I do not have to rush and queue with others at a restaurant for my morning meal. All I have to do is walk to the kitchen and open the refrigerator. The breakfast basket had been delivered to my room the pervious evening.

I decide to skip lunch as the late breakfast turned out to be more than sufficient for me. I like the homemade bread rolls which were especially soft and buttery. They go well with the wide array of jams and preserves.

I spend the remainder of the morning and early part of the afternoon finishing a book out at the balcony. Occasionally I gaze out to the distance perhaps to with a hope of my feathered friend returning. Then just as I am about to finish the last page, I receive a call on the mobile phone provided by Ambong Ambong as there are no land lines here. It turns out to be a reminder to enjoy my complimentary 15 mins relaxing massage at the nearby Ishan Spa (+604-955 5585). I opt to walk instead of calling for the buggy service.

My brief trek to the spa takes me through pristine jungle complete with cicada chorus. Despite the hot afternoon tropical sun above, my route is shaded all the way by the forest canopy. I am glad the management had decided to keep the impact on the forest and environment to a bare minimum during the construction period. So do not be alarmed if you see an odd shaped roof or a slightly out of place layout as it is just Ambong Ambong giving way to nature.

My visit to the spa lasts more than fifteen minutes. Captivated by the ancient Ayurveda concept I happily signed up for the additional hour long traditional Ayurvedic massage called Abhyanga. I feel completely relaxed as the warm medicated herbal oils seep deep into my skin. The rejuvenative feature of the massage is supposed to work wonders for my persistent backache and help me sleep even better than I did last night.

After the theraputic treatment I sit down with Dr Baskaran Kosthi who is more popularly known in Langkawi as 'Bas'. In between sipping warm ginger tea and nibbling sugarless coconut biscuits, Bas tells me about Ambong Ambong's popular yoga and nature retreats which involves personal consultation with the Jiva Ayurveda practitioners in India via Skype prior to the start of the 5D/4N programme. I make a mental note to join this retreat that blends the benefits of yoga, meditation and traditional healing the next time I am in Langkawi.

That evening I treat myself to a sumptuous meal at the Unkaizan Japanese Restaurant (+604-955 4118) located right at the foot of the hill. Feeling rather famished after skipping lunch I sampled quite a variety, starting with sashimi and grilled Ayu (sweet fish) and ending with the novel teppan ice cream. I specially enjoyed the latter which the Japanese version of handmade fried ice cream. Diners can choose from a wide range of flavours and toppings. I tried banana and wasabi and like both very much.      

I decide to ask for the buggy service back to my room at the top of the hill. This service is complimentary for all guests of Ambong Ambong Langkawi Rainforest Retreat. That night I am lulled to sleep by the faint 'tok tok' calls of the nightjar outside my room. Sleep comes easy to me after such a wonderful day in Langkawi.    

Quick Facts
HOTEL
Ambong Ambong Langkawi Rainforest  Retreat
Jalan Pantai Tengah, 07000 Langkawi,
Kedah Darulaman, Malaysia
Tel: +60 (0)4 9558428
Fax: +60 (0)4 955 8429
Website: www.ambong-ambong.com
Email: reservations@ambong-ambong.com

GETTING THERE
Take the main road from Kuah Jetty and go towards Pantai Tengah. It is a 25 minute drive from Langkawi International Airport and half an hour from Kuah.





MAIN ATTRACTION
Very quiet, suitable for those who love nature.

FIRST IMPRESSION
Relaxing and de-stressing

RATES
Check the website for the latest promotional rates and packages.  

OVERALL SERVICE
Friendly and attentive
PLACES WITHIN WALKING DISTANCE
There are lots of shops selling souvenirs and restaurants along Jalan Tengah. Better to explore in the evenings as it will be cooler then. Unkaizan Japanese Restaurant is highly recommended as the food is very fresh and service is excellent. Ask for Mikiko Yamanaka and she will guide you though the best offers of the day, both from the menu and also the daily special promotions board. Chef Katsuji Takebayashi is a shy person and does not stray from his kitchen so ask for him after your meal and meet the man who won Unkaizan Malaysia's Best Restaurant Award from the Malaysia Tatler since 2005. The restaurant only opens in the evenings (6pm to 11 pm) and closes on the 2nd Wednesday of the month.



No comments:

Post a Comment