Thursday 18 June 2015

Berjaya Langkawi Resort and Spa - Romantic Getaway (My article published in Travel Times New Straits Times)

Story and pictures by Alan Teh Leam Seng
 
Romancing Langkawi, the Berjaya way

I feel like Tom Hanks in the movie 'Cast Away' as soon as the speedboat disappear into the distance. Marooned, at least temporarily for a mere two hours, on a deserted island does make us feel helpless and realise how much we depend on others just to get by. Here I am all alone walking along the beach with not a single soul in sight. Drawing comparisons at least the fictitious Robinson Crusoe had his man Friday while Tom had his Wilson volleyball in the silver screen to keep him company during their solitary sojourn. Just in case any of you are wondering, no I did not meet any savages in need of rescuing or FedEx packages floating aimlessly in the water's edge. However, like Robinson and Tom, I too decide make the best of my time while I am here.

To my surprise, time did pass by quickly. I discover that the crystal clear water is quite shallow and is teeming with a myriad of colourful fishes that do not seem to mind my presence at all. I race back to the spot where the boat left me earlier and open my lunch box. I grab the bread and start throwing them to the fish. Almost immediately there is a mad frenzy as the ravenous fish dash forward towards the floating bits of bread. The heightened activity lasted as long as I kept supplying them food. Soon, my hands were empty and everything returned to normal.

Watch out! Ground moving, fiddler crabs coming!

I continue my walk and soon come up against a stream and decide to follow it. In less than five minutes, I find myself in a lush mangrove area. The tide had gone down and much of the mud flats are exposed. Then, just as I begin to step forward, I feel as if the entire mud flat is moving. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me and it was just a figment of my imagination but then as I look closer I discover a large population of colourful fiddler crabs dashing all around the place. These colourful tiny crustaceans with their unique single large claws were so numerous that when they moved together in unison it actually gave the illusion that the ground below me was moving. Fascinating!

Making a quick mental note, I tell myself that although this marooned island activity, organised by Berjaya Langkawi Resort, is equally suitable for both singles and couples, but after experiencing it myself, I am of the opinion that going through it with a partner will be much more exciting specially so if the two of them have just exchanged vows or have recently fallen head over heels with each other. I can just imagine them having a great time swimming in the azure sea and then leisurely making their way ashore where a specially prepared picnic lunch awaits. I am sure such precious moments of complete privacy will be cherished an entire lifetime and reminiscence of such bliss may even help towards building the ultimate lifetime partnership.

Not particularly keen on boat trips, I have to admit that the boat ride through some of the 99 islands of the Langkawi archipelago was quite exciting. Before long, I arrive at the remote island where the resort crew had earlier spent a great deal of time preparing a picturesque tent complete with light flowing cloth, comfortable mattresses and ample cushions.

This concept is hugely popular with honeymooners or newly weds who are seeking complete privacy during their short stint away from the resort. A specially prepared gourmet picnic by the resort's award winning chefs, consisting of a delectable array of light snacks and refreshments will make sure that the special couple will not hungry during their brief isolated sojourn. Then, the love birds are left to their own devices for a predetermined number of hours of the day, after which the resort's launch will return to bring them back to the comforts of their premier chalet on water accommodation.

Romantic candle light dinner for two

Later in the day, I learn from the resort's general manager, Enzo Rulli that apart from being left on a deserted island of their choice, couples opting for the "Romantic Weekend Getaway" package will also get to enjoy a magical evening together complete with a private candle lit dinner by the beach. They will then have a specially designated butler who will serve them a specially prepared 5-course western set dinner while they embark on their special experience.

They will have the front row seat in witnessing the gradual change from day to night. The dinner spot is specially selected to allow the love birds to fully appreciate the ambience change as the sun slowly sinks below the horizon and darkness slowly sets in, complete with the melodious cacophony of cicadas interspersed with the occasional call of the jungle gecko to serenade them. In the darkness, the ample candles surrounding the dinner pavilion create a truly romantic setting, conjuring a Tom Jones 'Love is in the Air' sort of mood.

Fishing from the balcony, anyone?

After a hasty dinner at the Beach Restaurant, I impatiently hurry back to my luxurious premier chalet on water for an exciting evening of 'special' fishing where I do not even need to get my feet wet at all. Just like my luxurious accommodation, I am pampered in the sense that I only need to stand at the balcony and start casting my line. I am in luck as the tide is just coming in. Many avid anglers claim this to be the best time to start fishing as the fish would be in a feeding frenzy while following the tide toward the shore in search of food.

I take a peek at the waters below and to my delight the dim light from my chalet reveal that the waters down below are teeming with fish, playfully swimming between the concrete stilts while displaying their majestic rainbow of colours as if they are performing a courtship dance for me.

The resort's Sports and Recreation department provides fishing lines and bait for guests staying at the premier chalets on water should they wish to indulge in a spot of fishing from the convenience of their balcony. It seems that the best bait to use is sliced raw squid and the most prized species caught at Berjaya Langkawi Resort are siakap or barramundi and coral grouper. I just cannot wait to catch my own supper right from my own chalet! Pure adrenaline pumping activity this is!

After several hours, a couple of empty mineral water bottles and a score of mini sized groupers (which I carefully return back to the sea unhurt) later, I decide to call it a day. It has been a very eventful and fulfilling day for me. My comfortable bed beckons and even the tantalizing lure of the Portugal against Spain World Cup tie failed to keep me up any later.

Sunrise and eagles in the sky

A sudden loud shriek suddenly arouses me from my sleep. I open my eyes and in that dazed moment I find myself in what I would presume to be paradise. I hear gentle water lapping right beneath me while a cool breeze is constantly blowing against my face. More urgently though, I get and walked out to the balcony to check out what had awoken me from my slumber.

The legendary Langkawi sunrise that I have heard about so often prior to this weekend getaway trip did live up to its reputation. The shimmering rays lit up the eastern skies in a myriad of hues. Then, just as I was about to return indoors to prepare for breakfast, I hear that unmistakable loud shriek that woke me again. Positively sure that it was not from beneath, I gaze upwards and against the first rays of the morning sun I spot a pair of white bellied sea eagles playfully swooping right in front of my chalet. It was indeed a sight to behold, watching the regal couple perform their morning aerial courtship in the air.

Meeting the local 'residents'

Later that morning after a hearty breakfast at the Pantai Restarant I realise that I have some time on my hands before checking out and decide to take a quick walk around. Berjaya Langkawi Resort is surrounded by lush tropical greenery and I believe that there is always so much to see and do in such places as long as we are willing to take the time and have the patience to treasure what Mother Nature has to offer.

In my hour long walk I manage to see many of the resort's flora and fauna including its permanent residents - the dusky leaf monkeys. These simians with their unmistakable white rings around their eyes can be seen throughout the day. I also saw gigantic spiders spinning their webs in the hope of catching unsuspecting prey. One useful tip I learnt from the resort's resident naturalist, Mohd Firdaus Dev Abdullah, whom I happen to bump into during breakfast was to lookout for the elusive flying lemurs which love to rest in the dark crevices of tall trees. I am indeed fortunate to see a one just at the end of my walk, resting in the cool shade of a tall tree just by the Ayura spa main building.

I would have missed it if not for my sudden interest in a clump of fruiting Rastafarian palms nearby. The flying lemurs are only active at dusk when they crawl up to the top of the tree and glide gracefully down like experience paraglider on a mission.

It is indeed interesting to note that Langkawi Island has twice as many butterfly species than the whole of Japan. There are a total of 400 species of these winged beauties here while the British Isles has less than 70 species.

Due to its overwhelming popularity, Dev's nature walk is conducted four times a week were guests are encouraged to be well attired for the 45 minute walk where good walking shoes and an ample supply of drinking water are essential.

Activities and love birds!

Apart from the jungle walk, guests at the resort can take part in a wide range of activities, both on land as well as on the water. According to the resort's communications & public relations manager, Tunku Shahariah Tunku Yusoff,  the activities that are high on the guests' list of things to do include jungle trekking, mangrove tour, snorkelling trip to Pulau Payar and island hopping. "Guests who are here on shorter stays and wish to remain within the resort can opt for in-house programmes like the popular nature walk and beachside recreational activities. We also notice that our romantic weekend, honeymoon and wedding packages are also attracting interest among our foreign and local guests"

As I am preparing to check out, I walk to the chalet balcony one last time to gaze out at the deep blue sea, I happen to see two swallows resting at the ledge. The couple did not fly away and I stand watching them for quite a long time. Wow! Even birds in Berjaya Langkawi Resort make it the place for them to show their love and affection, in their own way!

For more information and details on the exclusive romantic packages available contact:  Berjaya Langkawi Resort, Burau Bay, 07000 Langkawi, Kedah, Malaysia. Tel: +604-959 1888 Fax: +604-959 1886 Website: www.berjayaresorts.com E-mail: resvn@b-langkawi.com.my

No comments:

Post a Comment