Friday 26 June 2015

Things bought at the Flea Market Friday 26 June 2015 - Hokkien Three Tiered Lacquer Basket (Item 2 of 6)



I am indeed glad to get this large three tiered Hokkien lacquer basket at the Kg Berjaya Flea Market this morning



I got it from a dealer who comes weekly from Guar Chemped ak. He tells me that he got it from Penang.



The basket is in good condition and it is not in the usual gold and black colour sequence.

It is in red and black which I think is a rarer combination.

The top section has a sturdy brass handle which is quite ornate. I think in the past, people used to slot a wooden pole through it during transportation.

The basket is still very strong and I wonder what great stories it can tell about the things it must contained in the past.



Details on the top cover shows that this basket was made by a Hokkien company called Eternal Spring.

I have never seen lacquer baskets with the name of the manufacturer emblazoned on the top cover.

I am really glad I got this basket even though I arrived at the stall quite late. I was busy bargaining for a pair of Pewter ewers. But that will be another story to tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment